top of page

National Trust Kingston Lacy, Dorset

Kingston Lacy Mansion
Kingston Lacy Mansion
New visitor reception building for National Trust Kingston Lacy
DHV Architects Kingston Lacy new visitor reception building 6
DHV Architects Kingston Lacy New visitor reception building 4
DHV Architects Kingston Lacy new visitor reception 1jpg
DHV Architects Kingston Lacy Engine House Toilets 1
DHV Architects Kingston Lacy Engine House Toilets 2
DHV Architects Kingston Lacy Engine Family Toilets Top Down View
s Kingston Lacy Engine Family Toilets Quiet Room
Kingston Lacy Treasures in Vaults
Kingston Lacy Devon red cattle
Kingston Lacy Stable block

Kingston Lacy is a large National Trust mansion and estate near Wimborne Minster in East Dorset, and was the seat of the Bankes family for nearly 350 years. The Grade I listed mansion was built between 1663 and 1665 to the designs of Sir Roger Pratt, and was extensively re-modelled by Sir Charles Barry between 1835 and 1838. A large stable block was added to the house in 1880, designed by Thomas Henry Wyatt.

 

The mansion is home to one of the National Trust’s best collections of art, and the Egyptian collection at the property is one of the most extensive in the UK outside of the British Museum. The collection was largely acquired by Ralph Bankes in the Seventeenth Century and by William John Bankes during his enforced exile in Europe during the Nineteenth Century.

 

The mansion is surrounded by nearly 400 acres of Registered Park and Garden, and the wider estate ownership is one of the National Trust’s largest and most generous bequests.

 

DHV Architects are leading a multi-disciplinary team to develop the visitor infrastructure across the site as part of the National Trust’s Transformation programme. Projects include remodelling of the car park and stables, a new restaurant, visitor welcome and a upgrade of the visitor facilities across the site.

 

Planning permission has been granted for the Access for All project at Kingston Lacy. The project includes several elements which will allow visitors of all abilities to explore the beautiful estate and mansion.

 

A new accessible ramp will connect the upgraded car park to a new contemporary visitor reception building. The proposed form of the new building is faceted to enable a visual connection between the visitor reception team and the visitors arriving from the carpark. The building will be clad in corrugated metal which reflects the material and colour palette of Kingston Lacy estate.

 

The existing Engine House toilets will be refurbished and a new interpretation space will be added to the front. New family facilities will located in the Laundry Court adjacent to the existing shop. They will include new family toilets, a Changing Places toilet and a quiet room. For more information on the Access For All Project check out the Kingston Lacy website. The project is scheduled to start on site in August 2024.

bottom of page