Truro Cathedral, Truro
Truro Cathedral was designed by John Loughborough Pearson as the first cathedral to be built on a new site in England since Salisbury Cathedral in 1220. The Cathedral was constructed in two phases; the eastern arm, crossing and transepts under Pearson’s direction between 1880 and 1887, and the towers and nave under the direction of Pearson’s son, Frank between 1898 and 1910 following his father’s death in 1897.
Izaak was appointed as cathedral architect in July 2012. Three major projects have now been completed at the Cathedral; the spirelet project to the northwest tower and the first two phases of re-roofing; all funded by grants from the First World War Centenary Cathedral Repair Fund. The £900,000 nave re-roofing project and the £500,000 South Aisle and Baptistery project were both awarded some of the highest grants under the programme.
Forthcoming projects for 2018 include reordering of the cathedral’s visitor facilities in the Chapter House and installation of the Finn Cross glass plinth in St Monica’s Chapel.