St Gregory the Great Church, Cheltenham
DHV Architects have recently delivered a £400,000 project at the church for the Diocese of Clifton for internal repairs and redecoration to this impressive Grade II* listed church in the centre of Cheltenham, designed by Charles Hansom in 1853. Work was funded by the Heritage Lottery Fund and the church.
The 1970s suspended ceiling panels in the nave, crossing and transepts were removed to re-expose the original timber scissor-braced roof structure. A new lighting scheme was installed throughout the church. The dais was re-laid and the sacristies were repaired and re-ordered with new oak joinery. One of the most exciting elements of work was the removal of modern paint from the chancel arch to reveal the original stenciled lettering beneath, which pre-contract paint trials revealed was intact. The original stencilling was expertly conserved by the Perry Lithgow Partnership. The uncovered latin inscription reads "behold the bread of angels, behold the food of life".